Jigsaw
Because you know, its a website about autism so there's got to be the obligatory jigsaw reference!

Saturday 18 March 2017

Autism only applies to children

"It's Asperger's and Autism Awareness month! In honor of all children who struggle every day!!"

Every now and again I see similar things appear on my Facebook newsfeed from well-intentioned people trying to 'raise awareness' of the suffering that autistic children face. Inevitably with World Autism Awareness Week (27th March - 2nd April 2017) coming up, I expect to see more of those kinds of social media posts. 

There's a few things that irritate:

Firstly they claim to raise awareness and provide no education, no quick facts or anything that we can learn. If you want to raise awareness, actually provide some meaningful and useful content might be a starting point, yes?! When is Asperger's and Autism Awareness month anyway?!

This notion of universal daily struggling or suffering kinda grates on me. Actually some days as an autistic person I couldn't actually say I struggle. I've had issues all my life but I am not sure if it's just manageable (ish!) because this is all I have known or if in the grand scheme of things, I am generally okay? I avoid stuff that upsets me and that's my coping mechanism. I know certain social activities and career paths would upset me so I don't do it. Simple, right?!
Okay, I get sensory overload and yes it's unpleasant but it's not constantly upsetting me. I am one of the fortunate ones who can generally extract myself from situations before they get to the point of a meltdown. I realise too that not all autistic people can do that and perhaps I am on the end of the scale where I have fewer undesirable autism related aspects about myself than many others.
Autism doesn't impact on my mobility either so I think myself lucky that I can do lots of things for myself. 
When I think of suffering, I think of someone with chronic pain and challenges that impact their lives so greatly that a large chunk of it is utterly miserable. Maybe I am an ablest amongst the autistic demographic but I have never put myself in a category of where I feel I suffer daily. I won't apologise for that either. My lens is how I view the world and I can't pretend to fully know or understand everyone's view but I can try (despite supposedly autistic people being void of empathy - yeah, right!). Sure, life can be struggle at times but autistic people don't have a monopoly on that. 

The whole "in honour of" thing...
Are autistic people in need of celebrating or having our challenges, differences and similarities respected via a little Facebook post? We didn't pick to be like this. We didn't earn this cognitive style. It makes as much sense to me as celebrating people with blue eyes. 
WELL DONE all you lot with the eyes the colour of the sky. You worked so hard just being yourself. 
This is how we are and I think most of us, like the rest of the planet, generally get on with it the best we can?! 
It's all a bit patronising for me.

Finally.... 
There is some notion that within these copy and paste crap that autistic adults are off the radar. 
Do only autistic children count? Now you're 18, the Facebook concerned no longer bother about us. Or maybe they think we have a terminal disease called autism whereby we don't actually reach adulthood. Incidentally, I am exceeding all lifespan predictions being in my 30s... Or perhaps one of my autism super powers is cheating death by using complex mathematics?!
Hmmmm or maybe by the time one leaves childhood, we have magically grown out of our cognitive style and become fully signed up members of the "Normal Club"?! Here we have lost our sense of systemising, become extremely empathic and gained wonderful social skills to become an artful host within high society. 
Or more likely, we just get on with it. We perfect our coping mechanisms in time, we learn how to pretend we're okay, understand more about ourselves to avoid things in life that upset us and perhaps care a little less about what others think. It's not that we have cognitively changed in our essence but many intellectually higher functioning autistic people probably have adapted from where they were in early childhood.

So when I see such Facebook posts, don't be surprised if I remind the person about the existence of autistic adults. It's not to be pedantic (ok, yes a touch!) but because it's attitudes like that which reinforce the view that only those in education and young people are entitled to autism related support. This is because I often feel like the existence of autistic adults is denied unless they have comorbidities and require social care and institutionalisation. Us autistics who seem okay on the surface are often forgotten. Time and time again, I think back to my experiences of working in education and my life and seeing support in schools and colleges but it almost disappears overnight once one has left their educational institution.

So please, let's not make sweeping statements that do nothing to help anyone, spread generalisations and misinformation but also ignore a sizeable demographic with autism. I'm not sure we need your kind of sympathy...

Now, if you like, you can return to your fake news, click bait websites and videos of extremely daft people doing very daft things! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment