Jigsaw
Because you know, its a website about autism so there's got to be the obligatory jigsaw reference!

Tuesday 26 September 2017

'Autism-friendly' Northern Ireland town

So I stumbled on this news article about a town in Northern Ireland that is "autism-friendly":


My first reaction: What the hell?! 

My second reaction: Oooh, is this a town where meaningful workplace reasonable adjustments occur under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (The Equality Act 2010 doesn't apply in NI)!!

And....this is where all employees undertake mandatory outstandingly brilliant training on autism that is also personalised to the industry/department/team to support their autistic colleauges?!
I thought not.

So basically its going to be 'autism-friendly', aimed at holiday makers who are families and kids who can go enjoy a sensory garden. Whooopieee! It doesn't exactly offer much to adults who have no use for such a garden.

And some services are in place for autistic residents who can take advantage of supported-living centres and a day centre. 

Now, I don't want this post to look like I am knocking the charity's efforts as what they are doing is amazing and is significant in recognising the cognitive style and challenges faced by those with autism. 

However, I take issue with this "first town in NI" who is now autism-friendly. I don't believe any place can be truly friendly. Every autistic person has a unique combination of sensory concerns and other issues. There will be some who have acute difficulties and others who appear or are generally okay majority of the time.

I argue that the label is a dangerous self-congratulatory one that could inadvertently lead to the thinking that all we need to do is to have a garden, a few day centres and a couple of employment advisers and we have made everything in the town great for all autistic people.#

Lets be real: some difficulties can never be removed. The sound of birds, wind blowing on my face, cold temperatures and supermarkets that are visually busy because of all their stock on display. There are  triggers and problems that for some autistic people can never be eradicated. We cannot ghost town a town centre on a Friday afternoon to suit one person. We cannot remove stock in a Tesco for one person. There are so many accommodations that cannot be made as they are not reasonable. 
So whilst it is brilliant that there are people striving to make a town better for autistic residents and visitors, lets not get carried away and overstate the positive impact of their initiatives. I for one would never find any use for a sensory garden, a day centre or supported-living centres.

Do you know what would help me?! Easy to navigate road systems because complicated roads with lots of sudden bends and one-way streets unsettle me and particularly if car parking is difficult to find.
Solution? Probably me to suck it up rather than rebuild Newcastle in Co. Down. 
Although I have never been to that town, I appreciate that some changes can never be made. 
And that is okay because I am reasonable and I understand that in the attempt to accommodate my needs, we need to be aware of others too and that includes those who are not autistic as well.

So lets not be silly and describe a town as 'autism-friendly' because its nonsensical however noble the goal and great the achievements that are made. Just remember to always include autistic people in this project (to be fair, I haven't ascertained if this has been). 

0 comments:

Post a Comment