Jigsaw
Because you know, its a website about autism so there's got to be the obligatory jigsaw reference!

Saturday 19 November 2016

Introduction

I have created this blog to address specific problems that many people have who are diagnosed with autism through the lens of my own experiences. My focus is intended to be on people like myself but obviously every autistic person's experiences vary. These people are intellectually high functioning and to the causal observer are by and large neuro-typical. On the face of it, I can blend in with a lot of what society does but it doesn't mean I can and do fully assimilate into the neurotic-typical world.

So I have ticked a number of boxes: I am a university graduate, I have a child, I am married and live an independent life. I am good with money and can organise myself. I am able to maintain friendships and able to (normally) go out and about to social functions. I drive a car. I can make tasty fruit scones. I can even hold down a full time job!

But here's the thing. I am still autistic but I fall through the gap. I do not have significant enough needs for help to be made available when I need it but I don't really fit in. Yet because my problems are not always apparent, I am often faced with feeling like I have fell short of the neuro-typical norms and values in society.

This blog aims to address this and my day to day encounters as an autistic person who feels is too weird for parts of neuro-typical life but not autistic enough to feel part of that camp either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment